The success of your video in general directly depends on how well the script is designed. Unfortunately, an improperly written script often causes misunderstanding of the client and production. And it is precisely this misunderstanding that results from the fact that your video is not able to interest a potential client. In this article, we will tell you how to create a video that you want to review again.
What is a script?
You should start by defining what a “script" is? In simple words, a script is a textual description of the story that will be told in the video. A script for an advertisement or a movie is most often described as a combination of a scene remark (answers to the questions: what, where, when?) And the dialogue of the actors. It is important that the script is natural and informal. The main thing is not to overdo it with the text, everything said in the video should be in harmony with the overall picture of what is happening in it.
How to write a script for a video?
How to write an interesting script for advertising? The goal is simple and understandable, but in fact it is not so simple: a commercial should attract the attention of the viewer from the first second and keep it to the last, having been deposited in the memory of the viewer. That is why we do not recommend “stretching” the plot. A short expressive video is much more likely to be watched whole and remembered. You can verify this using the focus group. To selection of viewers randomly show several commercials (for example, your video and competitors' videos). Then they are distracted for a while, and then they ask the question: “What movie did you like? Describe what was happening in it?”. We at LANET PRODUCTION practice this method on large projects.
How to write a script?
The initial task is to identify your potential audience and find out the goals of the future video. Your task is to make a video for recognition, image formation or counter-advertising of the company? Think and decide in advance.
If you want to write a script for the film, you should familiarize yourself with the three-act structure and collect enough background information. To shoot a commercial or video for Youtube, you need to study your target audience in detail. The more responsible you approach the analysis, the more accurately you will be able to get into the needs and preferences of your viewer, the higher the likelihood of capturing his attention.
Next, go on to brainstorm. It is important not to limit yourself and write down all the ideas that come to mind. Even if at first glance the idea seems absurd to you, do not sweep it, but write everything down on paper.
After you have collected ideas for the video, you need to filter them and leave the most successful. Now you can start writing the script. The most successful idea should be developed further: try to describe the main events, place, characters.
Experts distinguish four stages of writing a script:
- discussion, idea generation;
- donstration to the audience, receiving feedback;
- making edits.
After you have discussed the general concept, idea and characters, the script is finalized and shortened./p>
What does the script consist of?
The scenario of most of our favorite films can be divided into three such acts:
Consider how to write a script for the video on the example of each act.
- Exposition. In this act, you need to introduce the viewer to the heroes of the video, their goals, behavior and motivation. It is important that at this stage the viewer catches the general atmosphere, character and mood of the main character of the plot. At the end of the act, a key event should occur that will prompt the hero to a specific action.
- The conflict. Here the hero is already faced with difficulties or problems that he needs to solve. It is in this act that the key events of the plot take place. This is the moment of maximum intensity, when the main character is reassessing values, changing behavior and motives for action.
- Denouement. This is the final part of the video. Here the main problem of the main character is solved and all actions are added to the big picture. The ending must necessarily cause emotions in the viewer. Which ones is up to you to decide.
When the script is ready, the best way to edit it is to read it out loud several times. Most likely, there are words and phrases that you are uncomfortable with pronouncing. Feel free to remove them from the script or change the wording. For example, a lot of hissing and the same sounds contribute to reservations and confusion in the frame. To avoid this, you need to run the script out loud.
This method is also great for understanding the length of the video: after reading the video with a stopwatch, you will find out the approximate duration of your video.
And of course, an important stage is storyboard. This is a series of illustrations of key scenes of a video, which, even at the planning stage, allows you to remove unnecessary from the script. If the video has a plot and several locations, you need to think about what items will be needed, what surroundings and interior will be needed for the frame.
Before you start writing the script, you should pay attention to the main rules of its design. They have long been entrenched in the world of cinema and these rules apply not only to cinema. Competent scriptwriters of video production studios also always observe them:
- The entire script is written in Courier New font size 12. Why exactly this font? It's simple: one page of text with this font corresponds to about one minute of screen time.
- Text is aligned to the left (except for the cover page and dialogs).
- The script for the video is written only in the present tense and only from a third party. No “saw, stood, looked”. Only: “She sees. He stands. They are watching”./li>
- The character’s name is always written before the beginning of the dialogue and always in capital letters, it should not change.
- Each scene should be under its own number. The type of location and time of day are indicated. No need to use unnecessary adjectives, descriptions and comparisons.
It’s also worth adding to the script basic information about the shooting: people, location, time, equipment and props. A detailed script will simplify the preparation, cinematography, reading and installation.
In order to describe a frame, there are certain terms:
- The footage is the accompanying video. For footage, large shots are used to draw the viewer's attention to a specific object.
- Packshot is display of an advertising product.
- Disclaimer is any kind of warning. For example, a reminder that the company is not responsible for the result.
- Imprint is the text for an animated or motionless billet.
- Plan is the degree of fineness of the image in the frame. Used a large, medium and general plan.
A well-formed script will help to achieve mutual understanding between the members of the crew. And also, in the case when you collaborate with video production studios, these rules could be a litmus test by which you can determine a professional.
Script from LANET PRODUCTION
LANET PRODUCTION is a full-cycle video production studio. Our team consists of directors, creative videographers and post-production specialists. We carefully prescribe scripts for our videos, and also practice generating ideas and writing scripts as separate services. Our studio shooting videos of various formats: music videos, ads, films, interviews etc.
Why exactly us? We work only for the maximum result. Our studio provides a full range of professional video services. We create unique videos that do not leave the audience indifferent.